• Philly Talk - We have something to say.
  • It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 am
PhillyTalk.com Forums

Philadelphia Radio Ratings

Philly area TV and general radio topics

Re: Philadelphia Radio Ratings

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 am

William, do you mean Steve Katz, an original member of The Blues Project and Blood, Sweat and Tears, or Jeff Katz, former WPHT host who's now on WBT(AM) and FM in Charlotte, NC. in PM drive?
Repeal. Replace. All of them.
Scott
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby William » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Scott wrote:William, do you mean Steve Katz, an original member of The Blues Project and Blood, Sweat and Tears, or Jeff Katz, former WPHT host who's now on WBT(AM) and FM in Charlotte, NC. in PM drive?

Thanks, Scott!

I mean Jeff Katz, former WPHT host.

I saw Steve Katz perform with Blood Sweat and Tears, and I listened to Jeff Katz on the radio.

"My bad!"

William
lan astaslem. I will not surrender/will not submit

Maui no ka'oi!
William
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby David Black » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:22 am

Scott wrote:
David Black wrote:
Scott wrote:Medved seems to find conservative social values more important than fiscal conservatism and other issues of substance.

Conservative social values are more important. Fiscal conservatives these days have one basic isolationist agenda: the middle east war is wrong and we shouldn't be pumping so much $$$ into Israel, which angers Islamo-fascists even more.
Well, that's your view of fiscal conservatives. Be careful about painting with a broad brush. I'm a fiscal conservative, and I don't fit that mold at all. I recognize that the middle east war front is important, and I have no problem spending money to support Israel and further our defense on that front (I'd like to see us control and focus the spending more, but that's a universal criticism of the big, dumb federal government). National Defense is perhaps the only function that the federal government is uniquely qualified, and constitutionally mandated, to perform. The problem is all the other domestic crap we fritter our tax dollars away on. See the Democrats' agenda. When I refer to social conservatism, I'm thinking about abortion, religion, gay marriage, school prayer, the extremist anti-Darwin Creationism crackers and the like. At the federal level, they're distractions in my view. We've already lost the social culture war because while you can promote morality, you can't legislate it at the federal level, much as we'd like to be able to. I ride the train through the third-world ghetto known as North Philadelphia every day - I know this to be true.

Of course I also realize we can't have fiscal discipline without some moral authority, but it's of a more agnostic variety, something that can be embraced by everyone. Capitalism is a moral system of government, and you don't have to embrace religion to believe that. You merely have to be a compassionate human being with a rational train of thought. (Extremist Liberals of the Kos/Soros/Obama ilk are apparently disqualified in this department.)

I would much rather we spend money on preserving American hegemony around the world using military force than spend it on wasteful social programs domestically.
See above. Agreed.

Give up the Reagan ghost, folks, it's not going to return. It's a far different world now and spreading democracy to ensure a safer world for all will cost money.
Don't know where you're going with the Reagan line. It's untrue and undesirable as a belief. I'd like to believe that we can return to the Reagan discipline someday. We're certainly about as far from it as we can get now, but that's the way political cycles go. After a few years out of power, Republicans will likely get it again.

By spreading economic opportunity, something Reagan wholeheartedly supportedly, we spread democracy. Watch China and the former U.S.S.R's growing pains right before your eyes.

Our military endeavors should still be limited to defense, including our own borders. We should be working to form a coalition of free nations to do the jobs abdicated by the worthless U.N., as a power to spread democracy and economic opportunity.

This perception of fiscal conservatism was formed by my exposure to a number of conservative oriented blogs hijacked by losertarians and paleo-cons who back Ron Paul. There are also the fundamentalist Constitutionists on their side who believe that anything that wasn't legislatively conceived in 1789 should be disallowed today. Practically every penny spent or law passed by our government today is attacked as unconstitutional. These people are nuts.  They plan to sit out this election and let Martin Luther Kennedy win, under the presumption that "electing Carter brought us Ronald Reagan four years later."

These people have to realize that there are no Reagans on the horizon. He was a one-of-a-kind leader that you don't find too easily. In fact, I'm hard pressed to find any real future stars of the GOP that combine charisma, guts, and a warrior spirit.
David Black

Postby William » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:57 pm

David Black Posted on: Yesterday at 11:22:49 AM wrote:In fact, I'm hard pressed to find any real future stars of the GOP that combine charisma, guts, and a warrior spirit.

Of those who are currently popular enough to be known and discussed, Louisiana's Bobby Jindal fits the bill.

He is well educated, has TONS of experience and accomplishments which exceed Barrack Hussein Obama's - AKA Jimmy Carter Marx Kennedy -  meager morsel of experience and accomplishments.

Michael Steele of Maryland, former Lieutenant Governor, put up with direct racist assaults during his run for position of Senator, yet revealed great backbone, integrity, and guts.

Both are not so-called "white" and both are well educated, intelligent, and, when they discuss an issue, or answer a question on the spot, they make Barrack "Jimmy Carter Marx Kennedy" Obama look like a stuttering, speech and communication challenged step child.

There are merely two examples, although I won't liken them to Reagan.  I think they stand quite well on their own, and as individuals they have something fresh, unique, and positive to add to the arena of leadership.
Last edited by William on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lan astaslem. I will not surrender/will not submit

Maui no ka'oi!
William
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby PGB » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:23 am

David Black wrote:These people have to realize that there are no Reagans on the horizon. He was a one-of-a-kind leader that you don't find too easily. In fact, I'm hard pressed to find any real future stars of the GOP that combine charisma, guts, and a warrior spirit.

Sadly you are right.  There are some potentials out there like William points out.  Time will tell if they can stay strong or be sucked in by the political machine and turn corrupt.  It's up to us to openly support new blood.
PGB
Administrator
Administrator

Postby David Black » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:17 pm

William wrote:
David Black Posted on: Yesterday at 11:22:49 AM wrote:In fact, I'm hard pressed to find any real future stars of the GOP that combine charisma, guts, and a warrior spirit.

Of those who are currently popular enough to be known and discussed, Louisiana's Bobby Jindal fits the bill.

He is well educated, has TONS of experience and accomplishments which exceed Barrack Hussein Obama's - AKA Jimmy Carter Marx Kennedy -  meager morsel of experience and accomplishments.

Michael Steele of Maryland, former Lieutenant Governor, put up with direct racist assaults during his run for position of Senator, yet revealed great backbone, integrity, and guts.

Both are not so-called "white" and both are well educated, intelligent, and, when they discuss an issue, or answer a question on the spot, they make Barrack "Jimmy Carter Marx Kennedy" Obama look like a stuttering, speech and communication challenged step child.

There are merely two examples, although I won't liken them to Reagan.  I think they stand quite well on their own, and as individuals they have something fresh, unique, and positive to add to the arena of leadership.

I don't find Jindal charismatic or dynamic at all.

Barry Obama IS Martin Luther Kennedy, the new MLK! After all, Caroline Kennedy herself said Barry O. is reminiscent of her father. When I heard that, I mused on my blog, "do you mean he's a serial philanderer as well?"

Jimmy Carter Marx Kennedy doesn't flow as a nickname.
David Black

Postby PGB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:45 am

Jimmy Carter Marx Kennedy doesn't flow as a nickname.

;D Good one.
PGB
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rayr0683 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:23 am

What about IMUS???? Ditch Smerc. and put IMUS back on!!!!!

Scott wrote:
William wrote:(Smerconish)  WTF?  Get him off the air!
Agreed. Michael had a lot to offer when he was on in the afternoons, but he's Fluff  City in AM drive, and arrogant to boot; local talk radio is dead, and we'd be better off with a good national syndicated host than a local attempting a lightweight 11PM TV anchorclown approach. The Premiere-syndicated Quinn and Rose would be a better morning show than Smerconish - more informative. Let Smerconish go on to TV where lightweight Fluff is the coin of the realm.

Beck:  Fun, witty, informative, entertaining.  Keep him on.
Quite a change from the early opinion of him here, but I agree. He's trying to walk the line between a left-coast morning show and a mid-day show elsewhere. He's gotten better at it. And his CNN-HD show is well done, despite CNN being a liberal enterprise.

Limbaugh:  I don't think he is past his prime or even a parody of himself.  He is brilliant in his insight and his communication skills.  It is also true that he helped elevate talk radio and gave conservatives a voice, which began creating some balance against the left wing, liberal media, Hollywood, and educational system machine.
And he keeps on being entertaining. Even when he merely quotes one of the the Wall Street Journal Editorial Page's star columnists Kimberley Strassel - a must-read for those who strive to understand what's really going on behind all of the Congressional bullsh*t - he creates a situation where "Gang of 10" Senator Chambliss has to call in and defend himself because his phonelines are being swamped by irate listeners.

Michael Medved:  Intellectual and informative with a strong knowledge of history and current events.  An excellent show and a good host who teaches liberals the facts, countering their tirades and pabulum with those facts.
We diverge here. Medved is a feel-good populist except for religious values. I understand why this might appeal to William, but I find the show annoying in that Medved seems to find conservative social values more important than fiscal conservatism and other issues of substance. Maybe it's his movie reviewing background.

Dennis Prager:  Soft spoken, intelligent, informative, and fair minded.  A very good example of conservative thought and behavior.
Prager is a great talk show host - quite engaging on spiritual and economic issues, rumors surrounding his fidelity and recent divorce notwithstanding.

(Sean) Hannity:  A peppy, involved, passionate defender of conservatism.  His enthusiasm is welcome.... Hannity is a breath of fresh air for he isn't afraid to stand up and be heard over the din of leftist, liberal verbal/oral diarrhea.
Though Hannity can be repetitive at times, he's always entertaining, on message, well-informed, armed with facts, good at interviews and personally engaging. Rush's heir, if there is one.

Anthony Mazzarelli:  Please.  His voice alone is enough to make one quickly change the station, similar to covering one's ears when one years screeching in any other circumstances!  His content is wanting as well.  Please clear the airwaves for someone like Phil Valentine or (Jeff) Katz.
Heard "Maz" once. Once. That was more than enough. Look, 1210 is effectively off the air from 6 to 9PM thanks to their Phillies commitments. William doesn't mention Hugh Hewitt over at NTP from 6 to 9. Turn PHT off and go to 990. When 990 brokers sports, stream Hewitt online. And bookmark his blog. 'Nuff said.

Dom Giordano:  An excellent host and interviewer with a backbone who stands up for good, for justice, for truth.  Dom isn't afraid to oppose BS!  I am happy he is on the air!
Dom's a Philly talk radio survivor, and well worth a listen. He should have the morning show at 1210 - he did a great job on 'DB pre-last-gasp news/talk mornings - assuming they wouldn't dumb him down a la Smerconish. Advantage: Dom hasn't broken bread with Dictator/Murderer Fidel "We All Hope You Can Please Die Soon, You Miserable Piece of Sh*t" Castro.

Bill O'Reilly:  Good host.  I would like to see him stop being soft on some topics and guests.  He often plays "good cop" when someone is pushing BS, allowing them to get their BS out their unchallenged.  Nevertheless, he has a cordial personality overall and does a good job.  Keep him on the air, but I prefer his Fox News program.
O'Reilly's radio show tries to cast a wider net than the TV show, given that he has two hours and a less rigid format. Ever the populist, he has time to expand on his topics on radio, yet keep the measured outrage. Were I programming 1210, I'd put Mark Levin on live from 6 to 8PM (currently on WNTP tape-delayed from 9 to 11PM), and O'Reilly from 8 to 10PM. If the Phillies are on, delay both and pre-empt the pathetic:

Coast to Coast:  Why is such a program on the air, hogging and wasting bandwidth?
Exactly.

How about mystery theater?  Or, perhaps an educational program, say Monday-Math, Tuesday-Biology, Wednesday-History, Thursday-Language= on month per series: Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, etc., with reviews or the cycle continues?
You broker it (pay for it), you got it. $1210 for sale, weekends. $990 too.
rayr0683

Previous

Return to TV & Radio